Six quick weekend home maintenance jobs
Posted by Jamie Klein on Friday, September 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM By Jamie Klein / September 25, 2015 Comment
Doing these six things will hardly eat into your weekend but will get you ahead of the curve this fall!
- Vacuum refrigerator coils to extend its life and save energy. Coils normally are located in front, behind a black metal cover or in the rear.
- Replace smoke detector batteries annually. If detectors are hardwired you still need to check the condition of backup battery.
- Change furnace filters. Equipment and conditions vary, but you should generally replace furnace filters quarterly.
- Drain water heater to remove sediment and improve efficiency.
- Inspect tile grout and caulking in bathroom and kitchen. Repairing as needed not only prolongs the lifespan, it looks good!
- Inspect your roof for damaged shingles, flashing, vents. Getting up on the roof to do a visual inspection only takes a few minutes in most cases but catching a problem early can save a ton. Do it now while it’s still warm!